Facing the great opportunity (and potential challenge) of nurturing young leaders in your work? It takes time and money, but remember these immediate, short term benefits such as –
- Having a built-in system for instilling the values and leadership principles that are important to you.
- Building relationships in classes to enhance functional collaboration and break down silos.
- Gaining better trained leaders at every level.
- Creating higher morale and better retention among top performers.
Long term benefits are even more strategic because research shows that hiring from within is the way to go especially at higher levels. Developing your own pool of leaders from which to choose managers, directors and executives reduces your risks in several ways –
- You’re maximizing “the known” and minimizing the “unknown” of hiring. You know these folks and have seen them perform under stress.
- They already know you and their working environment such as values and expectations and history.
Do you have any special leadership development suggestions for young leaders? Please share them here – thank you
You can also read the entire article on this topic.